Algae Poisoning – How To Protect Your Dog

Cases of dogs poisoned by algae always surface in mid-summer.

‘Indiana residents are being urged to protect themselves and their pets from water in some of the state’s lakes after the deaths of two dogs that swam in a reservoir tainted by toxic algae.’

The disease is caused by toxic algae growing in lakes and in stagnant water. These algae can be ingested by dogs and cause severe liver damage sometimes leading to death.

The danger time is always the Summer. As the water level in the lakes falls, the algae become more concentrated. A swimming dog will always swallow water. If there is algae in the water, the dog is in danger.

To be on the safe side – my advice is to avoid walking dogs near stagnant lakes in summer. If that’s not possible – make sure your dog drinks plenty of water before hand and keep swimming time to a minimum. If you are concerned about possible liver damage to a dog (especially an older dog), your Vet can organise a liver enzyme test.

About Dr Vadim Chelom

Dr Vadim is a house call Veterinarian in Melbourne
%d bloggers like this: