What’s little known is that cat bites are 50% more likely to result in severe infections and hospitalisation.
The next morning my hand hurt. I ignored it. But when I tried to pull my tights on, I couldn’t grip them to yank them up. My hand was red and swollen.
‘I couldn’t understand why they kept asking me about the tiny bites on my wrist. And then an X-ray revealed I had no fracture.
‘We think your hand is infected,’ the nurse explained.
‘Their mouths are filthy, swimming in bacteria. But because it’s so rare that they bite, it’s not widely talked about.’
I told them Mr Fluff lives in a gorgeous Chelsea townhouse, eats the finest cat food and never goes out, so surely I must be safe.
I listened, half amused, as they told me I would go for a ‘wash out’ the next morning under general anaesthetic. The procedure sounded innocuous, so why would I need a general?’
While the direct damage of a dog bite is instantly visible to all, the danger of cat bits is in the dangerous bacteria they carry in their mouths. This bacteria can cause severe, sometimes life threatening skin infections in humans.
The lessons is – don’t underrate cat bites, even from your own cat! Always visit a Doctor if bitten.